I like to write software as a hobby. Anything I've written which I think is of any value to the internet at large is available here to download as free software, under the terms of a 3 clause BSD style license. Most of the software is written in Python, a little of it is written in C. It has all been developed and tested on either NetBSD or whatever Linux distro I was using at the time, but should work on any vaguely POSIX system (including OS X) and a lot of it will probably work on Windows, too. If you have problems getting a program which isn't fundamentally Unix-specific to work on a non-Unix system, do let me know - I am happy to make reasonable changes for the sake of portability.
Bug reports, suggestions for improvements, compliments or any sort of comment in general on any of the software on this page are encouraged. Email me.
- arduino_eeprom: An Arduino sketch for writing data received over the UART to 28C64 EEPROM chips using Microchip I/O expanders.
- eedd: a dd inspired command line tool for writing files to EEPROM memory chips using my arduino_eeprom sketch above.
- The Pimp: The Python Image Manipulation Program. A command line interface to the Python Imaging Library making it easy to do simple manipulations for which the GIMP is overkill, like resizing and rotating.
- BEASTling: Command line program to easily generate BEAST 2 XML configuration files for lingustic phylogenetic analyses.
- PyWALS: Pythonic interface to the World Atlas of Language Structures (WALS).
- GetAuWeather: A Python module to retrieve and store weather data from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology's website.
- Gopherfeed: Convert RSS or Atom feeds to gophermap files.
- PrettyTable ( ): A simple Python library for easily displaying tabular data in a visually appealing ASCII table format. (pre-Google code migration webpage)
- phyltr: A suit of command line filters for manipulating and analysing sets of phylogenetic trees represented in Newick format
Semantic web software
- FOAFlib ( ): A wrapper around the Python library rdflib to make working with FOAF files particularly easy.
- Consh: An extremely simple Unix shell written in Python, written as and only really useful as a learning exercise.
- nufi: a Unix command line filter for processing numbers.
- pkgorphan: Find installed pkgsrc packages which are not dependencies of any other packages (orphans).
- superpaste: Upgrade for standard unix paste command.
- ModeratelyTasty: A minimal, single user Delicio.us replacement built with Flask and SQLite.
- Yomiko ( ): A simple, file-based blogging platform in the spirit of Blosxom, written in Python using CherryPy and Cheetah.
Web related software
- Comanche: A simple web server written in Python as a learning exercise. No CGI or HTTPS.
- Feedformatter: A Python library for generating RSS and Atom feeds. Think FeedParser in reverse.
- HTTPeek: A GUI tool for hand-crafting HTTP requests and examining responses to them.
- TestLinks: A simple but useful Python script to check websites for broken links.